Re: removal instead of orphaning?

On Sun, 2016-09-18 at 14:30 +0200, Stephen Kitt wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 11:28:55 +0100, "Adam D. Barratt"
> <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> wrote:
> > If your next maintainer upload includes the changelog stanza for the NMU
> > in its changelog then the BTS will automatically know that your upload
> > includes those fixes, without your mentioning them in your own stanza
> > for your upload.
>
> Doesn't it just consider that any version after the "fixed" version contains
> the fixes? Otherwise I thought you'd need to specify the appropriate -v
> option.

You're talking about two different things. -v is needed to include
information in the .changes file for the purposes of e.g. dak closing
bugs in a previous version which was never uploaded to Debian; the BTS
does not see that information and does not base its decisions on bug
status on whether the version has increased.

> There are still cases sometimes of NMU changes being ommitted from the
> following maintainer upload, so "fixed in NMU" could still be a meaningful
> state. Admittedly patches get dropped accidentally between maintainer uploads
> sometimes too, so the distinction isn't all that important...

Indeed. The important question is "which versions of the package does
the changelog claim that bug X is closed in?", regardless of who
performed those uploads.

Regards,

Adam