Re: Support for merged-/usr now in debootstrap; default for stretch?

Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> debootstrap in unstable can now install with merged-/usr, that is
> with
> /bin, /sbin, /lib* being symlinks to their counterpart in /usr.  Run
>
>   debootstrap --merged-usr testing .../testing http://deb.debian.org/
> debian
>
> to give it a try.

As I was just asked on IRC:

One can also test installations using d-i.  The images from [1] already
include the new debootstrap (at least on amd64), then just switch to a
shell early, run `nano /usr/sbin/debootstrap` and change

  MERGED_USR="no"

  MERGED_USR="yes"

and continue with the installation.

There might be a smarter way to do this, but for a quick test this
should work good enough. If we switch the default to merged-/usr, an
explicit opt-out preseeding option might be helpful to smoothen the
transition, given users one more cycle to adapt to the changes.

Ansgar

  [1] http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/
amd64/iso-cd