Re: Debian with HiDPI / 4K displays

On 09/08/15 09:22, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ❦  8 août 2015 18:11 -0700, Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> :
>
>> This handles the majority of programs I use.  A few notable exceptions:
>> gitk scales up some but not all of its fonts (reported as a bug),
>> Celestia's and stellarium's in-rendering text (reported as bugs), old X
>> utilities like xcalc/xconsole/xedit/xdvi/xmag/xman/xmessage (not really
>> worth reporting, better to replace them with modern tools), and anything
>> that relies heavily on toolbars like gimp/inkscape/audacity (tools and
>> other UI elements not scaled up, since they don't use text; unfortunate
>> but expected, as they don't have non-integer scaling).
> I don't have any such problems with Gimp and Inkscape and Xft/DPI set to
> 144 (both through xrdb and XSETTINGS). All GTK apps are behaving
> correctly, notably Gimp and Inkscape. It seems GTK is doing complex
> stuff to determine the scaling to be applied, so many things may
> influence it. Other apps fail to understand how GTK works and try to
> emulate it by piling hacks together (notably Chromium).
>
> I could show you at Debconf to spot a configuration difference.

Thanks for all this feedback

Looking through the feedback and comments elsewhere,

a) most people are using some manual configuration to deal with this

b) it needs to be tweaked in more than one place (e.g. xrdb + Iceweasel
+ other places)

c) there is at least some stuff that is video-card specific, e.g. NVIDIA
offers some driver options[1] for it and it is not clear if these simply
supplement the Xorg options like DisplaySize or if the NVIDIA driver
breaks DisplaySize functionality in some way such that an alternative
has to be provided

d) there is some concern that not all displays report DPI accurately and
so it wasn't considered safe to trust the value from the display and so
people started using the hard-coded values in GNOME at some point in the
past - is that still a valid argument today though?

Does anybody feel strongly enough that manual DPI configuration
shouldn't be necessary any more, just as it is no longer necessary to
manually create X ModeLines for most monitors?  Would this be a
worthwhile goal for stretch?

It would appear that having a consistent approach to this is not just
useful for the newer range of UHD and laptop displays, but also for any
Debian derivatives or blends that are interested in more exotic displays
such as mobile screens or smart TVs.

1.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/README/appendix-b.html#UseEdidDpi