Re: [buildd-tools-devel] sbuild just hangs

On 30/07/2015 15:56, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
On Jul 30 2015, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015, Johannes Schauer wrote:
there are (unfortunately) a number of situations I encountered when sbuild
would just hang or just fail without any sensible error message. In my case,
the most common reason for that was that the chroot it was instructed to use
(via the configuration file in your case because you did not specify the -d
parameter) did not exist.

That's the usual case with me too. However I don't have any distribution
set in the configuration file... instead sbuild is smart enought to figure
it out from debian/changelog (or maybe from the .changes built out of the
current directory).

So when I have "UNRELEASED" as target distribution and call "sbuild", I
get this hang. The simple solutions is to indicate the desired
distribution: sbuild -d unstable

That was it! Thanks! In my case the problem was that "unstable" (as I
specified in the changelog) would not work either, because my chroot is
called "sid". So sbuild -d sid worked just fine.

Note that you probably want

  -d unstable --chroot=sid

(IIRC) since the distribution is also used when doing stuff that needs the correct distribution name, e.g. making NMUs which needs a valid changelog entry. The --chroot option selects a different chroot without altering the distribution in use.

Note that you can add "aliases=unstable-amd64-sbuild" or equivalent for your distribution/arch to your schroot configuration, which will make it select the appropriate distribution when you use "-d unstable".

Regards,
Roger