Re: Adding support for LZIP to dpkg, using that instead of xz, archive wide

Fabian Greffrath <fabian@debian.org> writes:

> This is often the case when few "enlightened" people tell all the
> others what they skould prefer by now.

> I have found another opinion by a Gentoo dev that might shed some light
> on the topic, or maybe not.

> https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2014/02/22/a-few-words-on-lzip
> -compressor/

It's depressing that it's 25 years later and this still feels like the ARJ
vs. ARC vs. ZIP wars in the DOS/Windows ecosystem.  Not to mention HQZ and
various other things that we had to maintain decompressors for.  Lots of
heat and smoke, not very much light, and way more different compression
formats than there are actually meaningful distinguishing features that
could only be implemented in that format, because everyone seems to want
to write their own thing.