Re: Bits from the release team (freeze time line)

On 2013-12-26 19:23, Josh Triplett wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 06:08:03PM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
>> Britney changes
>> ===============
>>
>> We have deployed a change in Britney that causes her to pay more
>> attention to essential packages.  In particular, all packages now have
>> to be co-installable with the essential set.  Previously, a package
>> could conflict with a essential package.  It would still be considered
>> installable by Britney as long as the transitive dependency closure of
>> the package did not (explicitly) require the essential package it
>> conflicted with.
>
> Here's the complete list of packages in latest unstable that would
> violate this new criterion:
>
> ~$ aptitude search '?conflicts(?essential)'
> p   systemd-sysv                    - system and service manager - SysV links
> p   upstart                         - event-based init daemon

We knew that upstart was affected and systemd-sysv does not come as a
surprise to me.

> This new criterion would seem to make life difficult for the maintainers
> of these and other potential future alternatives to the current set of
> essential packages.

I do not see how you conclude that it will make life (any more)
difficult.  Anyhow, I think you might be overly concerned about the
downsides of this change compared to the positive side.

> In addition to the small mountain of discussion ongoing about init
> system defaults, there has also been some discussion on the specific
> topic of this conflict (specifially, whether the package named
> "sysvinit" should drop the Essential flag, or whether it should become a
> metapackage depending on multiple alternative providers of /sbin/init).
> The latter discussion unfortunately seems to have been deferred in favor
> of the former.

I am well aware of this discussion.  If sysvinit were to lose its
Essential bit (or we use the metapackage solution), systemd-sysv and
upstart would no longer be affected by this change.

> Perhaps, in light of the pending tech-ctte decision of doom, it might
> make sense to defer enabling this new criterion until at least that
> point, to ensure that the maintainers of these two packages can continue
> to maintain them and provide upgraded versions?  (To the extent other
> external factors have not already prevented proper maintenance of those
> packages, such as the unmodified packaging of new upstream versions with
> useful new features.)

I am not convinced it makes sense to undo this change, in particular ...

> Or, will there be a testing migration exception for packages which
> already exist in testing, which both of these do?
>
> - Josh Triplett

Yes, there are.  In general, a package can still migrate to testing as
long as it does not increase the total number of uninstallable packages.
 This is a privilege packages in testing have that sid ones generally do
not[1].  Only new reverse dependencies will require manual action (and
then, only once).
  Mind you, such packages are still "second-class" in Britney's eyes,
since she will *not* prevent them from becoming "less installable" (e.g.
she will happy remove a package they depend etc.).

Also note that the change makes Britney handle this situation a lot more
consistent and in line with what the end-user sees with APT or dpkg.
Packages that have a versioned breaks on an essential package can no
longer migrate to testing before the updated version of the essential
package.  While very rarely, such issues have occurred in the past.

~Niels

[1] Because a package in sid would generally add a new "uninstallable"
package rather than update an existing one.  Though, exceptions can
occur with "hijacks" of binary packages - but still.