Re: Delegation for the Release Team

On 26/12/13 at 13:20 +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Dear Developers,
>
> It is my great pleasure and honor to officialize the existence and the
> powers of one of Debian's most important teams: the Release Team.

Hi,

I'd like to note that the discussion on this delegation was inconclusive
on a couple of points:

1) it does not include anything about defining rules for NMU delays.

The last time the NMU "policy" was changed was in 2011. The process used
back then was:
- the release team announced its intention to change the policy in
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/03/msg00016.html
- #625449 was filed against developers-reference
- there was some discussion
- the proposed change made it into developers-reference

I believe that this was a very reasonable way to make such a change, and
that there is no need to give explicit authority to the release team over
the definition of the recommended delays for NMUs in developers-reference[1].
[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#nmu

Of course, if recommended NMU delays are discussed again in the future,
I think that the release team's opinion should be heard with great
attention, given the role of NMUs in achieving quicker bug fixing and, in
fine, faster releases.

2) it does not include anything about Release Goals.

There's currently a thread on -devel@ about Release Goals, where the rough
consensus seems to be that we need a way to define "technical project-wide
goals", but that the release team is not necessarily the most suitable
team to oversee this (due to the additional workload, and to the fact
that most of such goals are not specific to a *release*).

Also, one could argue that this initial delegation should have documented
the current practice wrt release goals, and that's quite true. However,
(1) I found it very hard to describe the current practice wrt to release
goals, especially without making it overlap with the Technical Committee's
powers;
(2) I think that even if release goals are not explicitely mentioned as
such in the delegation, the powers required for the implementation of a
"release goals" process are being delegated, e.g., the release team can
decide that certain classes of bugfixes are higher-priority and and
suitable for post-freeze inclusion in testing.

Of course, if needed, I am open to updating the delegation in light of
future discussions on those topics.

- Lucas