Re: Derivatives, MongoDB and freezes

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 06:57:30AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 04/20/2013 07:37 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> > I came across this on Planet Debian

> > http://rb.doesntexist.org/blog//posts/lack_of_cooperation_from_ubuntu/

> > I'm guessing that Ubuntu may not have pushed the changes to sid because
> > of the freeze, that may well be the answer to Rogério's questions.

> Thinking that this is the only reason is very naive. It's simply not the
> case.

> In some areas, Canonical guys believe they need to differentiate, even
> if that means making the life of maintainers of both distributions harder.
> The areas are where they focus commercially: cloud computing stacks,
> desktop with Unity and MIR, and I guess soon phone and TV sets.

There is a difference between "needing to differentiate" and "needing to
deliver a product in the most efficient way possible".  In cases where
Debian and Ubuntu are moving in the same direction and/or sharing
technologies, the most efficient way to deliver Ubuntu as a product is to do
so in collaboration with Debian; and so there's a standing policy that
changes to packages do get pushed back to Debian from Ubuntu, as others have
commented.  But for new packages, where Canonical is striking out on its own
to deliver significant new functionality and the folks working on these
packages are not DDs, there's a clear pragmatic argument for doing the work
directly in Ubuntu rather than blocking the work on finding folks able to
upload to Debian and willing to maintain the packages there.

That doesn't mean Canonical is not interested in having such software in
Debian.  I can't speak to the cloud packages in particular, but I know
there's been an ITP for Unity in the past, which unfortunately hasn't made
it to completion for one reason or another.  I think the Unity team would
welcome having Unity available for Debian users - it just doesn't make sense
for them to try to push Debian to accept such packages, or to volunteer to
maintain them.

Likewise, while the goal of Mir is first and foremost to be a platform for
Unity and the Ubuntu client offerings, and the team's priorities will
naturally reflect this, I'm sure that if the Debian community found Mir
useful for their own purposes the Mir team would be happy to see Mir in
Debian.

> So don't try to guess. Just remember such things can happen, and try
> to deal with it in the best way possible, trying to push for more
> collaboration when you can. That is the policy that I am trying to apply
> to myself, and I hope it will be appreciated from both sides (eg: Debian
> and Ubuntu) in the long run.

Well said.