Re: multilib followup: caution about remnant shared library files

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 03:14:14PM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> You may be right steve, but I've seen a similar issue in fresh
> chroots. I haven't yet got to the bottom of exactly what was going on,
> but it's mentioned here:
>
> Talking about (e)glibc headers being found in /usr/include:
>
> -------
> This has accidentally worked in the past (e.g in the quantal toolchain
> bootstrap) because libc6-dev-i386 puts predefs.h into
> /usr/include/bits/ (or at least leaves it there - this package owns
> the directory - but nothing owns the files inside according to dpkg -
> this should probably be the subject of another bug).
> ------

This is because libc6-dev-i386 ships a /usr/include/bits
*symlink*:

  lrwxrwxrwx root/root         0 2012-12-30 15:37 ./usr/include/bits -> x86_64-linux-gnu/bits

dpkg hasn't forgotten about the files under that; it just knows about
them under another name.

This is unrelated to Paul's problem.