Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On 31/10/13 09:30, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Op 30-10-13 23:09, Steve McIntyre schreef:
>> So... In that situation, would you care about having more than just a
>> netinst available for initial booting? Beyond that, people can get on
>> the network to a mirror, or to other machines hosting the DVD images.
>>
>> I'm thinking we can cut down some more here. Maybe (as Steven
>> suggested) we could keep a single bigger CD image around, but I'm not
>> 100% convinced that it's likely to give us enough beyond the netinst
>> to make me care about it. What else would we want/need on a CD to make
>> it compelling here?
>
> I think having a live-CD (if that is at all possible) might be useful
> for those cases where you have an old system without DVD that doesn't
> boot anymore. This doesn't need a full desktop environment, just a shell
> with some utilities should do.
>
> I don't think you'd necessarily need more than the netinst CD for
> installation, either; but then, if you're going to write a CD image
> anyway, why not write the full one rather than waste a CD to half an
> image -- so I think having one 650MB image might be useful; I would
> suggest adding packages that have a high popcon rating, without
> necessarily trying to fit any kind of desktop environment on there.

I would like a CD with as much of Required, Important and Standard and as
many other popular packages as will fit. Whether installing or upgrading
it's useful to be able to download a reasonable amount in advance,
especially if you're doing more than one machine or on a slow link. It would
also be useful able to install a minimal working system without needing
network access, or is this what the netinst provides anyway? I've generally
used CD1 for this in the past.

Roger