Re: systemd effectively mandatory now due to GNOME

> > * Gnome is said to work fine even on platforms that don't have
> > systemd installed.

> My understanding from what I've read is that it "works fine" except in
> that the features which the ConsoleKit-or-logind dependency provides
> aren't available. That's derived from indirect statements from several
> people in various parts of the discussion; if I'm wrong on that, someone
> please correct me.

Yeah it works fine, some things needlessly break but can easily be
fixed (if you happen to still want to use Gnome). Session tracking will
also break but only a fraction of desktop users actually need that
although I guess it is of use to RedHat's cloud services and the like.

Looking into and defining if anything else breaks may be a good idea?

> > Does this mean that systemd is optional?

Apparently not if you want to use Gnome and who knows what next.
Antoine who has been doing the patching and negotiating with Gnome devs
for his OpenBSD port seems to be losing hope when he was fairly happy
not too long ago stating patching out pulseaudio for sndio wasn't hard,
unless the comment of his posted here was old (cc'd apparently so I
don't think so).

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)