Re: tech-ctte: Decide which init system to default to in Debian.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 09:43:17PM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> They have proposed a release goal that is probably a necessary
> prerequisite for default init but has not yet been achieved.  (I wouldn't
> expect it to be, yet.  We aren't releasing for ages.)

No.  The decision of the default init system should be made *before* the
release team should be asked to sign off on a release goal of porting
packages to a particular init system.

As all of the init systems are compatible with the existing sysvinit
scripts, there's no technical reason that the porting work should be done
before deciding which should be the default, or even before changing the
default.

The TC should certainly not force a change in the archive before the pieces
are technically ready, but I don't see any reason to delay the question any
further.