Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

+++ Neil Williams [2013-10-24 18:06 +0100]:
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 16:40:48 +0100
> Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>
> > This goes back to during the wheezy release cycle. There was a little
> > discussion around a change in tasksel [1], but rather too late in the
> > day for the change to make sense. Now we have rather more time, I
> > feel. Let's change the default desktop for installation to xfce.
>
> I've been using XFCE from unstable for over a year now, I strongly
> recommend this environment as the default desktop for Debian.

I've been using it for about 9 years on most of my machines
(desktop/laptop/netbook/settop-box), and exclusively for the last 7
years. It works well (better now than ~9 years ago :-) and supports a
range of configurations (focus-follows-mouse, click-to-focus, top
panel/bottom panel/autoraise panel, raise-on-click/raise-on-focus) which
is sufficient to keep most desktop users happy. Gnome applets (maybe
only old-style ones?) are easy to incude, and it's generally a very
boring classic desktop gui with enough flexibility not to annoy people
used to a particular desktop and its behaviour.

I agree it's a sensible default if we are going to pick one.

Re accessibility: There is an 'accessibility' settings box with sticky
keys, slow keys, bounce keys, and mouse emulation. I really don't know
how that compares to the gnome options, or whether important aspects
are missing in places.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/