Re: Upcoming changes in Tcl/Tk packaging

On 2013-09-25 11:38, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>> > 3. Renaming tcl-dev and tk-dev into libtcl-dev and libtk-dev. Since
>> > too many packages have versioned build-dependencies on tcl-dev or
>> > tk-dev, I chose to retain tcl-dev and tk-dev packages (as
>> > meta-packages which depend on libtcl-dev and libtk-dev). Switching to
>> > libtcl-dev and libtk-dev can be gradual. Would adding a lintian
>> > warning discouraging to use the old names possible?
> Same as above: creating work for no actual benefit.
>
> If that was triggered by some lintian warnings, just override them and
> be done with it. Lintian isn't here to generate work.
>
> Mraw,
> KiBi.

Actually, I think Sergi wanted to add a Lintian warning for using the
old names (IANSergi, so it is just a guess).  At least I am pretty sure
Lintian does not have a tag for renaming -dev packages (the only thing I
can think of is the "pkg name does not match SONAME"-tag, but it doesn't
seem to apply here).
  FTR, that is pretty trivial to mark packages "obsolete" in Lintian.
It simply requires adding the package names to the Lintian data file
called "data/fields/obsolete-packages".  (Though, that is not a remark
about whether the renaming should be done in this case)

~Niels