Re: UTF-8 in jessie

Quoting Ian Jackson (2013-08-29 13:56:09)
> Adam Borowski writes ("Re: UTF-8 in jessie"):
> > Let's take a look at some sheets.
>
> Last time I looked at this I found a copy of the actual ASCII
> standards document from 1968 or so and it did mention this usage.
>
> > > I don't think that better UTF-8 support should involve needlessly
> > > converting 7-bit ASCII text files which use ` ' as matched quotes,
> > > into UTF-8 text files which use non-ISO-646 codepoints.
> >
> > These code points are defined to be exactly the same in both ASCII
> > and Unicode.  Only fonts may differ.  And like Han unification
> > issues, this is out of scope here.
>
> Do you intend that text files containing uses of ` ' as matched single
> quotes should be changed to use non-7-bit BMP matched single quotes ?
> It seems that you don't.
>
> In which case I'm afraid you will have to make this explicit somehow
> in your proposal.  Otherwise zealous people will go around complaining
> about funny-looking quotes and changing a whole bunch of text files to
> no longer be 7-bit.
>
> See GCC's error messages, for a case in point.

I believe the underlying issue is the one summarized here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typewriter_apostrophe#ASCII_encoding

If that is correct, then the issue here is not whether ASCII "`" equals
UTF-8 "'" (or some similar recoding), but instead that _authors_ from an
era of looking at output representing ' as ` grew a habit of typing back
into documents that other character.

How about we simply mention explicitly that `arcane quoting' - even if
arguably related to UTF-8 encoding, should be classified not as
release-critical bugs but as spelling errors.

 - Jonas