Re: UTF-8 in jessie

Le Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 03:56:48PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :

> I disagree with requiring ASCII for $PATH though…

Hi Adam, Thorsten, and everybody,

To my knowledge, in Unstable there is currently no filename in the PATH that is
not encoded in plain ASCII.  The rationale for codifying this practice into a
requirement is to ensure that on multi-user systems, the administrator and the
users will not encounter commands that they can not display or can not type.

For file names outside the PATH, the recommendation to use ASCII when possible
should not be interpreted in an overly restrictive way: there are also good
reasons for using UTF-8 characters that are not in ASCII.

See http://bugs.debian.org/701081 for further discussion.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy