Re: Missing makefile

On 7/31/2013 3:46 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 15:05 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 7/31/2013 2:39 PM, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 10:53 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
And compiling kernel modules is off-topic for debian-user.  It should,
however, be on-topic here.

Not really, although I realise the longer description on
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/ could lead you to that
conclusion. As the short description better indicates, debian-devel is
focused on the development of the distribution, rather than development
on or using it.

Regards,

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for your reply.

OK, I can understand that.  However, then where do you get support for
building modules with tools supplied by Debian - especially when there
seems to be a bug in one of those tools, but can't figure out which tool
to file a bug report against (or if it even is a bug - which I think it is)?

The mentors list doesn't seem to be appropriate, either.

It's not a bug in our packages, otherwise we would have hundreds of bug
reports of this already.

(My guess: you haven't installed the packages properly, for example you
made /usr/src a symlink.)

Ben.

Ben,

I should also add - I doubt there are many people trying to create new kernel modules for Debian which aren't being merged into the upstream kernel, so I'm not sure why there would be "hundreds of bug reports".

Jerry