Re: best policies for third party Debian packaging and get-orig-source target

Le 29/07/2013 12:54, Faheem Mitha a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I've got Debian packaging for a piece of software I've written. This
> software probably is too specialized to be part of Debian. In any case,
> for now I have no plans to try to include it in Debian. However, I'd
> like to follow best practices to the extent possible.
>
> Currently the Debian packaging is part of the same repository as the
> software, in the subdirectory debian/. I'm wondering if I should put it
> in a separate repository. Also, currently the package is being built as
> a Debian native package, which isn't really appropriate. I guess I could
> add a get-orig-source target for building the orig tarball to rules, but
> is it Ok to build a orig.tar.gz file from a local repository, or is it
> necessary to get it from remote? If the former, are there any
> recommended approaches for, for example, passing the location of the
> repository to the get-orig-source target?
>
> I'm not sure if this topic is appropriate for this list. if not, I can
> take it elsewhere. Please CC me - I'm not subscribed.
>
>                                                      Regards, Faheem Mitha

Hi,

It's good to apply good practices from the start, in case someone else
wants to pick up or adapt your work. In that respect, it would be better
to use non-native packaging.

By "repository", do you mean git repository?

As an upstream, I usually develop the upstream code in the master branch
and merge it in a debian branch, which has the debian directory in addition.

I use the tarballs that github builds automatically for my .org.tar.gz,
and I commit that to the pristine-tar branch using the eponymous tool.
You may or may not use git-buildpackage to build the package, but in any
case the setup suggested by git-buildpackage documentation makes sense.
The tarball should, if applicable, be the canonical tarball for your
release.

If using another version control system, look at svn-buildpackage,
bzr-buildpackage etc. to see sort of "best" practices for the relevant
VCS. For git, it's customary to merge upstream with the debian
development branch. For other VCSes, the debian branch contains only the
debian directory.

Kind regards, Thibaut.