Re: Location for Fortran90 module files

Hi Matthias,

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 03:55:18PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Am 26.07.2013 15:35, schrieb Andreas Tille:
> > BTW, it would have been perceived even without the unfriendly tenor.  In
> > case you might not know the team is maintaining a wide range of packages
> > and so there is not always a need to know about specific Fortran issues.
>
> well, apparently you did perceive it as unfriendly.  However in the past I did
> point out many issues with (unaddressed) build failures for packages maintained
> by the -science (and the -med) team, which didn't get any feedback.

I admit that this might happen to some degree.  I do not agree that this
is an excuse to do some bashing of teams who try their best with the
avialable manpower.  Please note that we tried to pick up packages which
would be orphaned otherwise.  So your situation would not be different
if your requests would be ignored by MIA maintainers instead of no
response from a team mailing list.

> Which I do perceive as unfriendly.

Not getting feedback is for sure frustrating.  I'm not sure whether it
can be called unfriendly if volunteers have set priorities in a way that
they just do not manage to answer what you would call "right in time".

> So apparently this team does have a size where it
> cannot manage the maintained packages any more,

If you are interested you could try to seek the list archive how often I
tried to create more focussed teams in specific sciences.  Even if there
is some agreement you need some volunteer to do the needed work - I guess
you know the principle, right?

> or where not everybody in the team is interested in every package.

Yes.  This is definitely no singularity amongst several teams inside
Debian.  In all teams I know there is some overlap between maintainers
and packages but no full coverage.  IMHO this can not be reached in
teams of volunteers.

> Other teams do have this problem too
> (which form my point of view is a problem).

Do you have a suggestion how to solve this problem?  And what exactly
is the problem?

> Sorry, but it is not the first time
> that I see this with the -science team.

I remember you told me so at all occurences when we met and I'm sure you
will tell me at next DebConf.

> > It even might happen that not everybody does read each mail on the list.
>
> well, why not, and who else should be addressed?

You did perfectly well to respond to the e-mail from Michael and
providing the information he needed.  I just insist that it is no excuse
for becoming unfriendly to a respected DD and member of several teams if
he has not perceived a detail which for a moment might have seemed
irrelevant for him.

In general I'd like to repeat my advise that in contrast to having a MIA
maintainer where you are not allowed to change a package you can always

    dch --team

a Debian Science maintained package if you have a certain problem with
it.  I do not say that you should do all the fixing work - but if you
really want to let something happen sometimes the fastest way to realise
it is to simply do it yourself quickly rather than waiting ages.  I know
that you are perfectly aware how Free Software works and we try to open
the doors for it.  Feel free to take this chance but please stop blaming
people who while trying to do their best fail to cope with your
requirements.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--