Re: how can we help DSA save money (was: bits from the DPL - June 2013)

Hello,

On 09/07/13 10:40, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I approve the purchase of additional storage for backups (~2300 EUR) and
> for our new hosting location at Bytemark, where snapshot.d.o will be moved
> soon (~£7000).

May I ask some more details about this please;  what kind/amount of
storage can DSA get for this, and are these costs for the hardware and
warranty, or does it also include costs of setup, hosting, power or
other ancillary bits?

The reason I ask, is that a feature of Debian software and development
work, is being able to derive more benefit from lower-cost,
general-purpose hardware.  (And also because this stood out as being
quite a big purchase if it is just storage).

This is somewhere that contributors could help instead of financially,
but by designing, developing, or simply documenting solutions that would
fulfill DSA needs.  I know this happens a bit already, DSA heavily makes
use of Debian software and there is even a list of relevant usertagged
bugs[0].  But what things are we not using Debian for yet, and where
could we save DSA some money?

[0]:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-admin@lists.debian.org

Thanks!