Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

Dear Russ,

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> I would *hope* a lot of Debian developers would do things like that,
> for any of the options!  There's no substitute for actually trying the
> software and seeing how easy it is to use, how well it works, and how
> difficult it is to support.  There are a bunch of good reasons to
> install packages, even if one isn't going to use them regularly.
> Among other things, it's often the easiest way to read the
> documentation so that one knows what people are even talking about!
>
> Maybe at some point in the future when whatever options we've
> converged on have been widely publicized and everyone knows how to
> switch and test and whatnot we might be able to gauge something about
> levels of interest from popcon.  But it's going to be a while before
> we're at that point.

Your objective thinking is much appreciated!

Actually I was thinking of setting up test environments of systemd
upstart, OpenRC (and other candidates?) on Debian development boxes (or
some third party boxes which is open to DD), when Steve (excuse me for
not digging out your original words) mentioned in this thread that we
need a _modern_ init system which can handle race conditions in a
sophiscated setup (NFS, aufs, as / /usr etc.) reliably and expected
OpenRC would fail in this realm. Then we can prove our points in public
and open to peer review that "something is not suited for such and
such".

Is it realistic?

Yours,
Benda