Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Friday, July 19, 2013 06:35:48 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > On 07/19/2013 06:12 PM, Mathieu Parent wrote:
> > > systemd is "used regulardly" on about 1200 popcon submiters, upstart
> > > on about 600 (this is even less than 100 from 2013-07-04, but what
> > > happened!).
> >
> > Like several people pointed out before, the popcon entries for the
> > Ubuntu upstart package pointed to Debian which at a particular time
> > which resulted in wrong data being sent to popcon.
> >
> > The data that we have now is the actual data and it shows upstart
> > isn't very popular.
>
> sysvinit 	148865 	99.83%
>
> Neither is systemd.  The numbers for either are small enough to be
> meaningless.

The 99.83% percentage is meaningless as sysvinit is typically installed
even on those machines that use systemd. When considering the absolute
numbers, you need to take into account that a large portion of popcon
reporters have old installations or aren't in any sense developers or
system administrators; those are not even potentially target audience
for manually installing a new init system.

For a different perspective, systemd has currently 1602 installs, and
gcc-4.8 (has been default GCC version for over a month) has 3809. gdb
has 27116 (a large portion of those likely old systems that are not
being actively updated); systemd is over 5% of that.

I think a better comparison would be to pick some packages that are
typically manually installed by developers or sysadmins, choose only the
systems which contain recently updated versions of those packages, and
then see what portion of those systems have systemd installed. But AFAIK
the public popcon data does not contain such information about package
relationships.