Re: SONAME migration: should the symbols file be continued?

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> As I understand, when a library generated from a foo source packge moves
> to a new SONAME, we change its library package name:
>   library file:    libfoo.so.1 -> libfoo.so.2
>   library package: libfoo1     -> libfoo2

> But what should we do with the symbols file as the BEST PRACTICE?

> Should we start with:
>  $ mv debian/libfoo1.symbols debian/libfoo2.symbols  --- case #1

> or, should we start fresh with:
>  $ : >debian/libfoo2.symbols                         --- case #2

The short version is that it doesn't matter.  In your example, since there
were no versions of libfoo2 prior to 2.1, a dependency on libfoo2 (>= 2.1)
and a dependency on libfoo2 (>= 1.2) or (>= 1.1) are equivalent.

Generally I reset all the versions to be the earliest version of libfoo2,
but I can't think of any likely scenario in which it would ever make any
practical difference.