Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

Russ Allbery wrote:
> John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
> > Popcon however speaks a completely different language:
>
> >> http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=upstart
> >> http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=systemd
>
> > Currently 64 counted installations for upstart versus 1604 counted
> > installations for systemd with a significant drop for upstart shortly
> > after it surged just when upstart in Debian was updated to 1.6.

The surge was likely Ubuntu popcon bug sending reports to Debian (so in
fact it's never been popular in Debian).

> I believe the equivalent systemd package to the upstart package is the
> systemd-sysv package, so 174 rather than 1604 is perhaps the better number
> to use.

I don't think so - the documentation I've seen has always recommended
changing kernel command-line to say "init=/bin/systemd" instead of
installing systemd-sysv. In fact I'm somewhat surprised at the fact that
according to those numbers more than one tenth of people (or at least
popcon users) using systemd must have installed systemd-sysv.