Re: Pepper Flash for Chromium

On 7 Jul 2013 12:05, "Stéphane Glondu" <glondu@debian.org> wrote:

> Le 07/07/2013 08:39, Scott Leggett a écrit :
> >> you may not (and you may not permit anyone else to) copy, modify,
> >> create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, decompile or
> >> otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Software or any
> >> part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by
> >> law, or unless you have been specifically told that you may do so
> >> by Google, in writing.
> >
> > Specifically, downloading the chrome .deb from google and doing
> > anything other than simply installing it (like extracting the flash
> > plugin and copying it elsewhere) would be creating a derivative work
> > and is thus forbidden.
> >
> > Additionally, the EULA says this ('Services' here includes the
> > software itself):
> >
> >> Unless you have been specifically permitted to do so in a separate
> >> agreement with Google, you agree that you will not reproduce,
> >> duplicate, copy, sell, trade or resell the Services for any
> >> purpose.
>
> Has anyone considered asking Google to distribute separately the flash
> plugin?

I believe similar was requested before for the adobe-acrobat-code-google-code pdf plugin that comes with chrome. Can't find reference on my phone, but google engineers responded saying their legal department didn't provide a response about mixing chromium with chrome's binary plugins. (Was it on the bug tracker?!). Apart from ~="google doesn't distribute such combination at the moment". Having google offer/ship binary plugins with/for nightly chromium would be a big win.

Regars,

Dmitrijs.