Re: Is updating utmp when logging in a user a requirement in Debian?

Petter Reinholdtsen writes ("Is updating utmp when logging in a user a requirement in Debian?"):
> So my question to my fellow debian developers is simply this: Is correct
> updating of utmp and wtmp a requirement in debian, or just nice to have?
> Is it a wishlist bug to fix it, or a release critical problem?

I think this is a non-release-critical non-wishlist bug.

I don't think programs should be using utmp for security-critical
purposes.  Certainly a mechanism which runs a lid-switch-activated
screen locker only if wtmp says someone is logged onto an X display is
IMO buggy.  Some more reliable approach should be used.

Ian.