Re: system time has change while installing

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 07:56:26PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 09:12:37AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> [...]
> > The *only* argument for using local time in the system clock is so that the
> > time displayed in the timezone-ignorant BIOS will be correct.  But who looks
> > at the time in the BIOS anyway?
>
> No, the major reason is compatibility with Windows on a dual-boot
> system.  But it will still get screwed up if Linux does the DST
> adjustment.
>
> EFI apparently records the current time zone offset of the RTC,
> which would allow this to be fixed, but I don't think that Linux
> pays any attention to that yet.

Actually, doing the DST adjustment in the OS without storing that it has been
done in the BIOS will always fail.  (I expect Windows to also use its own
records, not the BIOS, as a reference to see if it is set correctly.)  I've
seen people who had their RTC set to local time because otherwise the clock
would be wrong in Windows, then they pretty much stopped using Windows, and
noticed (weeks after the clock was to be changed) that their clock didn't
correct for DST.  So they changed their time manually.  But when some weeks
later Windows was booted, it said "oh, I didn't change your time yet; better do
it now" and it was an hour off again.

I now tell everyone to just go and install ntp.  Who needs a system clock if
there is internet? :-)

Thanks,
Bas