Re: wrong configuration in daemon

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 08:28:18PM +0200, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> I have a question concerning a bugreport I got, but that could be quite
> general.
>
> Let's say a daemon provides POP and IMAP, and is configured to provide both,
> in a pop.conf and imap.conf.
>
> How should the daemon ideally fail in case one of the two configuration files
> is incorrect but the other is fine?
>
> Should it log the situation and start the service that it's able to start? Or
> should it just not start at all?

If it's a single process that listens on two ports (POP & IMAP) then I would
not start at all.

A system administrator is likely to interpret that a running process indicates
success start.  What would trigger him to check that the process is listening
on both ports.

Also, in the start up script, how would you indicate that the daemon is 'half
started'.

Hope this helps,

Luca

--