Re: MBF: transition from texi2html to texinfo

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 07:06:23PM -0400, Ryan Kavanagh wrote:
> As a final notice, unless I get any objections (there have been none so
> far), I plan to go forward with the MBF at 03:00UTC on 2013-05-29. As
> explained on the Texi2htmlTransition wiki page[0], if you are
> unwilling/unable to transition to texinfo due to missing math rendering,
> please mark your bug as blocking on http://bugs.debian.org/710171 .

There have been two responses to your proposal so far, neither of which
particularly looks to be in favor of your plan.  I don't think it's
reasonable to proceed with a mass-bug filing on over 800 packages as a first
step, certainly not after such a short comment period.

Why are you not proposing to provide a texi2html wrapper from the makeinfo
package which translates the arguments as described on
<http://wiki.debian.org/Texi2htmlTransition>, and have makeinfo Provide:
texi2html?  That would surely allow you to remove the texi2html package from
the archive much more quickly than your current plan, and with less
unnecessary pressure on maintainers to transition.  This could be coupled
with a lintian warning, or other soft means of encouraging maintainers to do
the transition.