Re: default MTA

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 03:02:22AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Now that we are done with systemd for the time being, can we have the
> flame war about replacing Exim with Postfix as the default MTA?
>
> Are there any objections other than "but I like it this way!"?

As things stand, for the vast majority of users the actual MTA that is deployed
is irrelevant, as their only interface to it is via the debconf stuff which has
been engineered on top. (one might ask: why bother switching?)

Personally I've settled on using exim as an MTA everywhere, as a consequence of
it being the default MTA, however I have no objection with it being replaced by
default. (In fact I find the debconf engineering hinders rather than helps as
soon as you want to do anything complicated. Perhaps the need for some much
structure would go if it were not the default MTA.)

There is an impedence mismatch between packages which consider an MTA and the
sendmail interface to be standard and those desktop components that make no
such assumption. If we are going to keep ensuring a local MTA/sendmail interface
going forward, I'd love to see it better integrated into the desktop stack. (In
fact I still battle debconf-stuff-on-top-of-exim from time to time, when I have
a system where I don't want any local mail.)

I'd be interested in reading the arguments for switching: can you point my at
some relevant historic threads?

Thanks