Eliminating mail-transport-agent from standard

In addition to determining the MTA pulled in by default for packages
which require mail-transport-agent in order to function (the provider of
default-mta), I'd like to propose as a release goal that we not have any
MTA in standard anymore.  I've actually worked towards this goal for a
while now, and made a fair bit of progress; this mail documents the
remaining work required, most of which is simple dependency/priority
changes and patch application.

Only one package in standard or above currently Depends on a
mail-transport-agent:

- bsd-mailx: should have the same priority as an MTA (optional).

Two packages in standard or above Recommends bsd-mailx (indirectly via
the mailx virtual package):

- exim4-base: moved to optional as part of this goal.

- logrotate; could just Suggests mailx (or use sendmail directly and
  Suggests an MTA).

Four packages in standard or above Recommends mail-transport-agent:

- cron: I've already filed bugs on cron (and anacron) with patches to
  support sending cronjob output to syslog, so that it will not
  disappear into /dev/null without an MTA installed.

- at: I'd argue for this becoming priority optional, though it wouldn't
  be particularly hard to write a patch like the one for cron instead.

- procmail: should have the same priority as an MTA (optional)

- mutt: can easily Suggests a mail-transport-agent, since it supports
  IMAP and SMTP, leaving aside more exotic configurations like
  getmail/fetchmail.  (That leaves aside the question of whether mutt
  should be standard or optional, but I think either way it should only
  Suggests an MTA.)

With the above changes made, all providers of mail-transport-agent could
become priority optional or lower, including the provider of
default-mta.

(To the extent this affects the selection of default-mta, I'd suggest
that it might argue in favor of making default-mta one that only
supports smarthosts and does not queue locally, leaving the choice of
what MTA to run on a mail server up to the end user, but that question
matters a lot less to me than removing MTAs from standard.)

- Josh Triplett