Re: /bin/sh (was Re: jessie release goals)

Le samedi 11 mai 2013 à 18:26 +0000, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :
> > See also: Linux is not about choice.
>
> Debian is not just about Linux.

Yes it is. We have had two releases with kfreebsd, which failed to
provide anything usable. Debian is only about Linux, and has always
been.

> In Debian, Developers are also users, and it can only be the
> UNIVERSAL operating system when there is choice.

Let me say that from someone who cannot be suspected of collusion with
Canonical: Debian is not about choice.

Being able to choose between two entirely different desktop
environments, with different user experiences, is a good thing.
Being able to choose between two /bin/sh shells or two /sbin/init
implementations is not.

> Why dash? It’s clearly inferiour, buggy and not taken care of well.
>
> Oh, I forgot, you work for Canonical, who apparently invested into it.

WTF? Seriously you need to bring your crusade elsewhere.

> Users in Debian are NOT just desktop end users. They are also developers,
> both Debian and upstream. They are also systems engineers. And lots more.
> Including once-deployed embedded devices in remote locations requiring
> “node” to refer to the hamradio tool (remember this discussion?).

I want a unique /bin/sh and systemd as sole init system. Not just for my
desktops, I want them for my servers too. Especially for my servers. I
don’t do embedded devices, but I’m pretty sure I’d prefer simplicity and
ease of administration for them too.

kthxbye,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette