Re: Upstream packaging

+1 to everything Guillem said.  I particularly want to emphasize this
part:

Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> writes:
> On Sat, 2013-04-20 at 11:05:29 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:

>> Where Debian's efforts should be focused is on things like license
>> verification and helping bug reports and fixes get to upstream.

> So basically, getting rid of most of the fun stuff and turning it into a
> lawyerish play-ground and support center... I'd venture to say, not the
> most attractive work for most people here if it was the only thing to be
> done, which we do because we think it's important non the less.

Doing the work of a distribution -- integration, coherence, high-level
analysis, and fitting pieces together so that they work as a user would
have expected even if they were developed separately -- is *fun*.  It's
why I'm here contributing to this project.  Shuffling bug reports around
and verifying licenses are chores that have to get done in order to create
the system that I want to use, but it's in areas like integrating properly
into a new Apache module management infrastructure, making desktop files
that work properly with the desktop menu systems, or packaging language
extensions so that they just seamlessly work for users of those languages
in Debian that the creativity, design, and enjoyment come in for me.