Re: Linux Future

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 05:12:59AM +0600, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:06:16PM +0100, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> > This blogpost is months old but it makes some interesting reflections:
> > http://www.pappp.net/?p=969
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/115547683951727699051/posts/74r518xVUNH

LOL!

Actually, I find this reply to the PAPPP post largely invalid because LP
does not address the fact that these pipes and sockets are no longer the
official interface for random third-party tools to talk to, but only
used as internal communication mechanisms, using likely ever-changing
and much less than standard D-Bus documented protocols.

Talking to those sockets/pipes is much akin programming with
"Undocumented Windows" in your hand, then get the blame if something
breaks because you didn't use the one officially blessed API. IOW, it's
inherently unreliable, and a doomed approach.

Oh, and I think it *does* matter whether something is Unix or not. There
are even bodies to evolve the Unix spec, if needs be (arguably yes in
some areas, but not in all). If you don't agree, consider the viability
of ReactOS, which is (afaik) free software, too, or the way the
traditional Unices evolved.

Kind regards,
--Toni++