Re: socket-based activation has unmaintainable security?

On 06/02/2013 16:27, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> * Shawn <shawnlandden@gmail.com> [2013-02-05 18:43]:
>
>> socket-activation in systemd _helps_ security in that you can give an
>> unprivlidged process a listening port under 1024. (using a privileged
>> configuration file)
>
> Privileged vs. unprivileged port is not really a secuitry improvement.

I think he's referring to allowing processes which require listening to a port
under 1024 to run without superuser privileges. I believe our implementation on
Debian (e.g. Apache) is to have the process start as root, start listening, and
then setuid to an unprivileged user.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin