Re: Go (golang) packaging, part 2

Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> writes:

> Although I've never used dh-make-perl myself, I'm lead to believe that
> it is perhaps *the* most successful tool of its type (that is, of things
> that create .debs from packages in an alternative repository system like
> CPAN, gems, cabal, etc.), and that it works as reliably as it does
> (which as Russ points out is not 100% by any means) by relying on data
> from CPAN. So it's hard to use it as an argument against such external
> package systems.

Indeed, that's exactly right.  dh-make-perl works as well as it does in
part because upstream has a fairly good package management system with
explicit dependencies and good package metadata, all of which dh-make-perl
can download and make use of.

I used the tool back before integration with that information was
available, and it required much more work to build the package.  Now, it
can mostly do things like figure out the dependencies without a lot of
human assistance.