Re: Go (golang) packaging, part 2

On 01/02/2013 05:23, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> This arrangement works pretty well for me in practice, especially since
> `virtualenv --system-site-packages` can usually give you the mix you need.

Yes it does in most cases, but --system-site-packages can do the wrong thing in
certain edge-cases like trying to find a sane interface to libmagic in Python.

There are at least three different Python modules available on PyPI that provide
the magic module, i.e. "import magic", and *all* of them have *different* APIs.
If you're lucky, you end up deploying on a distro (e.g. in shared hosting or in
a PaaS like Openshift) that has the wrong magic module installed on the system,
and your application/library crashes and burns in a very spectacular manner.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin