Re: No native packages?

On Wed, 2013-01-30 at 17:58 +1100, Joey Hess wrote:
> Julien Cristau wrote:
> > > Maybe I forgot the answer, but at least in terms of git and the dpkg
> > > 3.0 (git) format, why can't we simply make use of shallow cloning?
> >
> > At which point you have lost all the advantages of shipping the
> > repository that Tollef mentioned, as far as I can tell.  You're back to
> > needing an external repository that's kept up to date if you ever need
> > to get at the history.
>
> You can shallow clone at depth one each ref in the repository, which gets you
> all tags (filter to released versions to avoid needing any further license
> review).

Is it also possible to say "everything in branch A which isn't in branch
B", so that you could include everything from the "debian" branch but
not the "upstream" branch? That might be useful when you aren't 100%
certain of the DFSG freeness of the upstream history, whereas you might
well be happy that the versions incorporated into the debian branch were
ok.

Also, I wonder if it is possible to arrange that having unpacked a git
format source package that the remotes for debian and upstream are
already prepopulated in the repo such that "git remotes update" would
fetch all of the missing history without having to "git remotes add
etc".

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

In Newark the laundromats are open 24 hours a day!