Re: Ifupdown, loopback interface, /etc/network/interfaces.d

Andrew Shadura <bugzilla@tut.by> (07/01/2013):
> On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:50:26 +0800
> Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > > Please keep in mind that such a setup will break existing tools and
> > > scripts, which rely on finding the interface definitions in /e/n/i.
> > > E.g. the ifupdown plugin in NetworkManager doesn't know anything
> > > about such a source directive.
> > > If you are going to use such a interfaces.d/ directory this will
> > > break the NM integration.
>
> > Besides NetworkManager, what other existing tools and scripts are
> > there that parse /e/n/i manually?
>
> As far as I know, guessnet (already fixed) and ifupdown's postinst
> (irrelevant), maybe something else, but I remember none of them at the
> moment.

If you want to find out, try http://codesearch.debian.net/

Good candidates from a (very incomplete and too) quick look at it:

busybox_1.20.0-7.dsc
→ static struct interfaces_file_t *read_interfaces(const char *filename)

resolvconf_1.67.dsc
→ debian/config

udev_175-7.dsc
→ extra/net.agent

wireless-tools_30~pre9-8.dsc
ifrename.c:const char DEBIAN_CONFIG_FILE[] =	"/etc/network/interfaces";
ifrename.c:static inline void
ifrename.c:probe_debian(int                skfd)

wpa_1.0-3.dsc
→ debian/ifupdown/functions.sh

There are probably more of them, but finding them all is left as an
exercise for the reader.

Mraw,
KiBi.