Re: Canonical pushes upstart into user session - systemd developer complains

On Dec 02, 2012, at 04:22 PM, Игорь Пашев wrote:

>2012/12/2 Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net>:
>> No, that's not sufficient. You may want relations between key-value
>> pair. For instance, if you have a line with a key "foo", then a line
>> with a key "bar" must also exist. Or a line with a key "number" must
>> have a value that is a number (more generally matching some regexp).
>
>For such configs general programming languages are good.
>
>E. g. perl:
>
>$foo = "wtf";
>
>if ($foo && !$bar) {
>ohshit(...);
>}

It's appealing, but not really a good option.  For example, over the years
we've had many users confused with GNU Mailman's configuration file, which for
versions < 3 was a Python file.  People would put quotes in unnecessary places
(e.g. turning an int into a string), or forget one of the three closing triple
quotes for multi-line options, etc.  There's really no reason to expect a
system administrator to be a Python or Perl programmer in order to configure
your system.

For Mailman 3 we switched to an ini file, and while that version is still in
beta and hasn't gotten nearly the same real-world exposure yet, I'm convinced
that it will be easier for end-users to manipulate than either Python or XML
syntax.

Cheers,
-Barry