Re: Canonical pushes upstart into user session - systemd developer complains

On 2012-11-29 21:33:37 +0600, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 04:23:03PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > > The default .subversion/config file is a piece of documentation, not a
> > > configuration file. I agree that there's far too much noise in there.
> > > However, that's not a flaw of the format, it's a flaw of the subversion
> > > default config file.
> > But comments may be useful, and again, there's no such problem
> > with XML. XML tools can hide comments and so on. So, you have
> > config and the documentation at the same place, which is fine.
> Imagine a ".ini tool" that can fold #-comments.

Yes. But remember that the detractors of XML say that you need
tools to handle it in a nice way.

BTW, about the readability:

ini format:

[section1]
key1=val1
key2=val2

[section2]
foo=bar

XML format:

<root>
  <section1>
    <key1>val1</key1>
    <key2>val2</key2>
  </section1>
  <section2>
    <foo>bar</foo>
  </section2>
</root>

It is more verbose, but I find it as readable (if you have characters
that normally need to be escaped, you can still use CDATA sections,
which is a way to keep the readability).