Re: Something like nocompress DEB_BUILD_OPTION

Hi!

On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 10:16:21 +0000, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> On 9 November 2012 09:37, Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> wrote:
> > (It's possible that "faster" presets don't actually give you more
> > performance if the time to write out the .deb is dominated by I/O,
> > though.)
>
> True about I/O. Does dpkg-deb writes-out tar to disk before
> compressing it or is it a pipe?

Oh, it's fairly suboptimal currently. It pipes tar's output to a
process compressing it to then write the result to disk, which gets
read back and written into the final .deb, for both tar member files.
This is pretty bad for big packages. But I already started reworking
the code to fix it, so this will be better in dpkg 1.17.x.

Similar badness happens on unpack, although at least it does not go
through a temp file on disk, also being reworked.

thanks,
guillem