Re: What is the use case for Policy §7.6.2 ?

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012, Russ Allbery wrote:
> That makes sense to me on first glance. I can't think of a case
> where I'd want to use Provides/Conflicts/Replaces with non-virtual
> packages rather than using a transitional package.

I'm currently using this in the case of unscd and nscd.

It's useful to be able to do this when there are not any versioned
dependencies on the provided package, and one needs to take over the
configuration files of the package that is being conflicted with.

Just forbidding P/C/R in when there are (potentially) versioned
dependencies should be enough, I think.

Don Armstrong

--
life's not a paragraph