Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Intel/AMD x86 CPU microcode update system in non-free

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012, Adrian Fita wrote:
> My CPU is an AMD Turion(tm)X2 Dual Core Mobile RM-76, cpu family: 17, so
> it doesn't need the amd64-microcode package which contains microcode
> updates only for cpu families: 10h - 14h & 15h. But the microcode kernel

Family 17 (decimal) is family 11h (hexadecimal).

> module gets loaded regardless of the fact that my CPU doesn't need it.

Linux loads drivers for the devices it supports.  Your processor supports
microcode updates, and the kernel does know how to apply them, so the
microcode driver will load.

Also, the modular microcode driver won't complain of missing firmware files
if amd64-microcode is properly installed and working (the firmware files
with the microcode will be there), so something is wrong.

Are you using a custom kernel? was the initramfs for the running kernel
properly updated by "update-initramfs -u" ?  Are you using systemd?

> So, shouldn't the microcode module be loaded only for the CPUs that need
> it? I know I can blacklist the module from loading, but I think this
> should be handled more elegantly - read automatically - by Debian so
> users wouldn't have to manually fiddle with blacklisting modules. I

It is not a very good idea to overcomplicate stuff that will break the boot
process should it be buggy.

  Henrique Holschuh