Re: ${HOME} vs. g_get_home_dir () [and 1 more messages]

(Resending due to a problem with mail headers.)

Josselin Mouette writes ("Re: ${HOME} vs. g_get_home_dir () [and 1 more messages]"):
> I expect programs to use my real home, regardless of whatever crap could
> have been put in the environment (and there are really too many things
> that fiddle with $HOME incorrectly).

What things fiddle with $HOME incorrectly ?

> Le jeudi 27 septembre 2012 à 10:06 +0200, Bjørn Mork a écrit :
> > I believe changing XAUTHORITY from default is part of the same upstream
> > problem.
>
> To me this looks like a classical change management problem.  Just
> because we did things in a certain way for 30 years doesn’t mean this
> way is best.

On the other hand it would be a good idea to try to understand why
things were done a particular way, and what situations would break if
it were to be done a different way.

Ian.