Re: mass bug filing about packages manipulating/deleting shipped files

On 17/09/2012 13:10, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 09/17/2012 12:49 PM, Philipp Kern wrote:
>>> Well, conffiles are sometimes modified due to the result of asking
>>> questions with debconf - at least the md5sum might change, although the
>>> content stays the same with debconf priority=high. Are you sure you
>>> didn't find such things?
>>
>> If you modify conffiles through debconf config scripts, your package is RC
>> buggy. See also [1].
>
> So we shall drop things like automatic configuration of postfix? It
> actually even asks the user if the config file should be modified. That
> is just one example of a lot others that jump into my mind.

This just means that the concept of conffile is dying.
When trying my hand at some automatic /etc management, I discovered that
many files under /etc are not conffiles (and not in dpkg managed-files)
because of this rule.

And this means that automatic management is hard, because they are
generated by scripts, and as such, not easy to store, compare to
default, etc.

Sincerly,
--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq