Re: [Piuparts-devel] how to handle partial upgrade problems?

On 2012-09-18 12:46, Ian Jackson wrote:
> And yes, this leaves pkg1 missing files.  This sequence of actions is
> not supported.  Ie, Don't Do That Then; I think that isn't a bug.
>
> If you think it is a bug and want to support this sequence of user
> actions then I guess the Breaks is an answer.  But this is a policy
> question.

Moving around files with proper Breaks/Replaces is described in the Policy:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-replaces
and the footnote 53
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/footnotes.html#f53
covers exactly the case of "disappearing files" due to missing Breaks.

Andreas