Re: packaging a tiny/trivial blob in a DFSG-clean way?

* Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru> [120914 23:12]:
> But I'm still a bit, well, uncomfortable to ship the blobs,
> even if the source is available and it is verified on buildds
> during package build on corresponding architectures.
>
> Allowing such packaging may act as a bad example in the future.
>
> And yes, that'd be the BEST option, ever, from whole packaging
> point of view, including debian archive management too.

We currently do not ensure hard that other things can be built
either. Things were able to build when they were uploaded and
sometimes thankfully someone even checks if they still build
(and judging from the many FTBFS bugs filed in the process,
being buildable back then and being buildable now is really not
the same). So I don't see why storing the result and comparing
it to a newly built one (and failing if it does not match) on
the corresponding architecture is not quite a good solution
( if you want to make it even better, you can set up a regular
private rebuild on that architecture to make sure it still is
buildable all the time... ;-> )

        Bernhard R. Link