Re: "X-" Prefixes deprecated by RFC 6648.

Guillem Jover writes ("Re: "X-" Prefixes deprecated by RFC 6648."):
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 14:55:04 +0000, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
> > Instead of things like
> >     XBCS-Comment: This field will appear in the changes, binary and
> >         source control files
>
> The X gets discarded on output, so the field names will not have an X-
> in the changes, binary or source control files. It should really be
> thought more as a marker for the BCS flags than as a private field
> marker.

Exactly so.

> > we may want to write:
> >     tanguy.debian.org-BCS-Comment: …
> >
> > or:
> >     team.alioth.debian.org-BCS-Comment: …
>
> There's already the Private- prefix which can be further namespaced,
> is preserved on output, and avoids dpkg-deb giving warnings about
> unknown fields (documented in deb-src-control(5)).

I think it would be better to encourage people to use proper
officially supported field names.

Or, to be honest, perhaps it would be better simply to remove that
warning from dpkg-deb.  Nowadays almost all .deb control files are
made with dpkg-gencontrol and since with dpkg-gencontrol you have to
use XBCS-... for "unofficial" fields you are likely to notice
misspellings of "official" ones.

Ian.