Re: "X-" Prefixes deprecated by RFC 6648.

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 02:55:04 PM Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
> Charles Plessy, 2012-09-13 01:55+0200:
> > I would like to share with you the recently published RFC 6648, which
> > deprecates the use of "X-" prefixes in "application protocols"
>
> Perhaps we should consider changing the way we write user-defined
> control fields (policy §5.7)? Instead of things like
>     XBCS-Comment: This field will appear in the changes, binary and
>         source control files
>
> we may want to write:
>     tanguy.debian.org-BCS-Comment: …
>
> or:
>     team.alioth.debian.org-BCS-Comment: …

I don't think so.  The premise of RFC 6648 is that generally X dash fields
either never get updated to "proper" fields or if they do it creates confusion
about which is correct.

In the case of Debian, we do want to distinguish between experimental and
"proper" fields in control files and we do update them, so I think the premise
of RFC 6648 doesn't apply to Debian.

Scott K